Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Cry to Heaven

I enjoy classical choral music which includes adult choirs like The Sixteen, mixed choirs of men and boys (Choir of New College Oxford and Kings College Choir Cambridge) and all boy choirs like Libera. I know, it's rather stereotypically gay, but I have always enjoyed classical music. Warning: I can't sing to save my life.

Anyway, I've been reading some books about choirs, fiction and nonfiction. I've started reading Anne Rice's Cry to Heaven. Unlike here most popular novels, it is not about vampires and such. It's set in 18th century Italy and the mail characters are castrati, boys who have been castrated to preserve their soprano voices. Thankfully, the practice has been discontinued (it was never legal). However, I find it interesting that I'm reading a book about castrati while I am wearing a chastity device. Obviously, castration is permanent and wearing a chastity device is temporary. Castration in the book was forced on these boys and my chastity is voluntary. The purpose of castration was different than the reason I wear a chastity belt. However, I am fascinated by the book. Rice is, of course, an outstanding author. She can make the most horrible characters fascinating. Like vampires, the castrati are considered monsters by people but they are not dangerous.

I'm only one-third of the way through the book and am interested to see where Rice will lead me and how it will impact the way I look at chastity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment